History of Sedalia
|Sedalia's history dates back to 1865 when the town of Round Corral was originally founded by John H. Craig. In 1871, Denver and Rio Grande Railroad named their depot Plum Station. The post office opens in 1872 and is named after Sedalia, Missouri by Heny M. Clay.|
In 1882, the railroad renames Plum Station to Sedalia and the town becomes "official." Sedalia is platted by the National Land and Improvement Company.
Manhart Store and Post Office on Plum Avenue between 1882-1889.
New York Governor Theodore Roosevelt's steam train #731 traveling by the Sedalia depot in 1905 as part of his campain for Vice President.
Plum Avenue looking southeast between 1890 -1920. Visible in the photo: the Karcher house with "Saloon" on the roof and the Marquis Victor House.